Friday, July 16, 2010

Metroid: Other M Boxarts

Remember the nice red New Super Mario Bros. Wii boxart? Yeah, that was a cool one. "Must buy the red box." Well, Japan now brings out quite a cover for Metroid: Other M:



DO WANT!
This is a great cover. Simplistic and striking. Even if the game turns out to be bad, at least the cover looks awesome. UPDATE: It's also a slip cover, we got a younger Samus under the red helmet. Nice effect. Now, let's take a look at the US/European cover:



Duh... boring, duh. What's this? The cover of a boring Star Wars novel? Who came up with that? Metroid is about the exploration of an isolated Sci-Fi world, but this cover tells me, the only thing, that I'm going to explore in this game, will be Samus' feelings. I will probably call the game "Metroid Mother" from now on. Not only because "Other M" is an anagram for "mother", but because Samus' maternal feelings for the Baby Metroid will probably more important than anything.

1 comment:

Golem said...

I dunno, both covers speak to how much the game focuses on Samus' personal life: both let you see through her visor and see her face, which is a rarity. I'll agree the Japanese one looks better, but I don't think the western one is that bad, either.

Samus' relation to the baby metroid has always been important, but Metroid Fusion's storytelling was kind of annoying and blatant. It wasn't bad, but it lost any sense of subtlety.

Other M's cutscenes, on the other hand, look painful. The writing belongs in fan fiction, not in a professionally developed video game. While I'm confident the game will have fun gameplay, the presentation looks like it will be terrible.

You weren't far off with this line: "this cover tells me, the only thing, that I'm going to explore in this game, will be Samus' feelings." From the footage we've seen, I think that's just what will happen.