Thursday, July 14, 2016

Nintendo Classic Mini: NES Announced

Not to be confused with the Nintendo Mini Classics...


I have this little LCD game, it's quite awesome. I'm not sure, if I'll should get this thing, though:


It has a certain appeal, because I've never owned a Nintendo Entertainment System myself, only borrowed one from school buddies. My first own home console was the Nintendo 64, so getting a NES, SNES or old systems with HDMI output in general seems like an interesting deal.

However, I'm not a big fan of the pre-installed Virtual Console library. My backloggery is already big enough as it is and while the collection of NES games certainly leaves little to desire, you still might miss a specific game, which will be more of a problem with other systems. With a "Mini Super Nintendo" for example, I would certainly miss Terranigma, which is one of my absolute favorite games of all time, but which never made it to the Virtual Console. And without it, the Super Nintendo is just not the same. And if you could collect and insert small cartridges, the collector's appeal would certainly be larger.

Anyhow, I'm also drowning in copies of the Zelda NES Classics already. I have both The Legend of Zelda and Zelda II - The Adventure of Link for GameBoy Advance, on the GameCube with the Collector's Edition, as well as on Virtual Console for Wii, Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, where the Wii U copies are still untouched and probably even would give me a better experience than the Classic Mini System.

It's really just a Virtual Console collection box, which certainly will have some success, because there are many people, who loved the NES back in its day, but don't own any new Nintendo consoles. Or people, who just love the retro look. It's easily accessible and lets people reconnect with the past in a charming way. In a way Pokémon Go is seeing a similar phenomenon right now and Nintendo currently aims at people, who used to be Nintendo fans in their childhoods, to bring them back. Let's hope that they will also aim at the people, who adored Ocarina of Time back in its day.

3 comments:

Eduardo Jencarelli said...

I did own the NES (still have my SNES, for that matter). It is a tempting offer, if only for the feeling of holding that classic controller.

I'm not so sure, however, because you can't really expand that list of games, and as far as I know, I can still get every single one of them through the Virtual Console.

K2L said...

I'm definitely passing on this. If this is how Nintendo tries to avoid a drought of software during Christmas (the very frist time it happens in that period), then it's very lame.

Steffie-Cel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.