Monday, April 20, 2009

Saved the World... Again

So, I finally found the time to play through The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask on Nintendo Wii's Virtual Console. I completed it 100%, I got all 24 masks, all 52 Pieces of Heart, etc. without experiencing any problems. With that I mean, the game didn't freeze on me, which was the major problem with the version on the Collector's Edition. On the CE version I've never been able to finish Kafei's quest, it usually froze during the Sakon's Hideout puzzle or after that, when I tried to access the menu, which was super frustrating. But like I said, the Virtual Console version is fine, it didn't freeze, no matter what I did. There might be some minor framerate issues, for example when you enter the shooting galleries or sometimes when you go from one part of Clocktown to another the music slows down a little bit. But it's by far not as bad as in the CE version, where the framedrops are very obvious and even mentioned when you load the game. However, the Virtual Console version runs at 50Hz instead of the 60Hz you get in the CE version.

Needless to say that it was very nice to play through this masterpiece of a game again, I enjoyed it a lot. I always tried to complete a maximum of sidequests all the time, for example one of the first things I did in the game was Kafei's Quest to get the Postman's Hat. Or I finished the graveyard even before Great Bay. It was a tough job to remember all the heartpieces you can get at a specific point in the game. But the large number of sidequests is the cool thing about Majora's Mask, this game is all about the sidequests.

If you haven't played this superior game so far, I would really recommend to get it now. If you were concerned about the stability of the Virtual Console version, I can assure you, you don't have to. I played all three versions of the game, the original one on the N64, the Collector's Edition version on the GameCube and now the Virtual Console version. And all I can say is, that the latter is my favorite one. It got the sharper graphics and the higher resolution, while it's stable. It's worth every single of those 1000 Nintendo Points, so get it (respectively "get it when it's out" if you live in the US).

3 comments:

Jason said...

Hooray, now I'll just have to wait for the US release. I was sure it would hit this week, but once again they've chosen to hold it back.

TourianTourist said...

Yeah, that's weird, since Japan got its copy a couple of days after Europe. But I hope you people get it next week.

oni-link1 said...

I still got it on my N64, and on NGC ^^.

I sometimes think he's the best Zelda.