Saturday, March 28, 2015

Zelda Wii U Delayed

Looks like this Zelda year is already over. Zelda U won't be shown at E3 or released this year. You know, what other Zelda games had been delayed for a year and even longer? Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword ... You know what Zelda game was created under massive time pressure? Majora's Mask.

In general I agree that they should take their time to make the best game possible, but looking at the past it tells me that a delayed Zelda game doesn't necessarily result in a good Zelda game. And one of my absolute favorite Zelda games was made within a year. So, I'm indifferent about these news. But I fear that this might mean that there will be only one Zelda game developed for the Wii U, much like there was only Skyward Sword for Wii (Motion+). Only one Zelda game per system / in the same style feels like wasted potential, I like when they reuse the engine and the same style of one Zelda game to make another. They still keep doing that on the handhelds, but the big console titles seem to become singletons.

I also fear, this might also be a marketing stunt. 2016 will be the 30th Anniversary of the Zelda franchise and they can do much more with Zelda U under the Anniversary banner. Well, it doesn't seem like they're doing anything for Mario's 30th Anniversary, but there are no new Mario games coming this year except for Mario Maker. And they love to milk Zelda by now and what would be better for Zelda U than a 30th Anniversary Limited Gold Edition of the Wii U console...?

There also should be a new Zelda 3DS game in development and I wonder, if they will switch schedules? Maybe the 3DS game is going really strong and will come out this year instead. Or both will come in 2016. But I still suspect it to be a new Four Swords game on the 3DS with online multiplayer, using the A Link Between Worlds engine. That would be neat.

4 comments:

K2L said...

This bad habit of delaying games is insane. They had promised Zelda U to take shorter to make than SS and now it's going to be yet another total of five years. Pathetic.

Zach Hazen said...

This is somewhat off topic, but while reading one of your Link Between Worlds Streetpass reviews, you said that with two 3DS's it was much esaier to complete the challenges. I was wondering if you could tell me how you accomplished this. I have two 3DS's as well, and can't for the life of me find out how. It's probably something stupid that I'm missing, but I wanted to ask anyway.

TourianTourist said...

@Zachery: You could have commented on the StreetPass blog posts for that, I will get informed about new comments!

Anyway, I had two copies of the game, which made things easier. I'm not sure, if you can only use one copy, but you can try. Just set up StreetPass on both systems (the StreetPass data is saved internally), close your 3DS systems and give it a go. You might also have to deactivate your WLAN, if you have some around.

Zach Hazen said...

Thanks! Seems to be working.