Monday, May 2, 2016

My Zelda 3DS HOME Menu

On the Nintendo 3DS you can personalize the whole interface in various ways. There are many different HOME Menu Designs available, as well as badges for decoration. And by now I'm quite happy with what I have here as a Zelda fan, so I thought I should show it off:


Since I'm using the golden Majora's Mask Edition of the New Nintendo 3DS XL, this design fits the system very well. Even with other 3DS systems I would recommend it, because it's classy and clean. Most 3DS HOME Menu Designs tend to be very cluttered, but not this one. It also plays the Song of Healing in the background, so even sound-wise it's not too distracting. I got some other Zelda designs for free, but I like this one the most and it was definitely worth the 2€.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm using the bottled 3DS applications, which let the golden Majora's Mask in the background shine trough some more. The rest is organized with folders, where I used a golden / yellow symbol for each. The folder with the gold coin is for 3DS games, the folder with the GameBoy Color is for Virtual Console games and the folder with the Animal Crossing feather is for 3DS applications, bloatware and such.

And of course I have a separate folder just for my Zelda games with a Triforce on it. Let's take a look inside:


There's The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II - The Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening DX, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords Anniversary Edition, A Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask 3D, Tri Force Heroes and the My Nintendo Picross - Twilight Princess, which I just got today. That's pretty much all there is available except for Ocarina of Time 3D and Hyrule Warriors: Legends. But I have no plans to get these two games as downloads and I only have some of the download versions, because I got them for "free", e.g. Majora's Mask 3D was pre-installed on the system and that's my early review copy of A Link Between Worlds over there.

Anyway, I also kept the downloadable trailers for A Link Between Worlds (still labeled as "The Legend of Zelda" at the time) and Majora's Mask 3D for the collection (I got a 32GB SD card, so space is not an issue). The rest are badges for decoration. I thought the Pearls of the Goddesses from The Wind Waker HD looked really nice next to the Rupees from Twilight Princess HD with their similar colors. And of course I had to put the Fierce Deity's Mask right next to Majora's Mask (3D).

I got tons of more Zelda badges, many complete sets, but I don't really use them, because I want the menu to stay clean. In case you wonder, where you can get these badges, it's a free-to-play application called Nintendo Badge Arcade. You can do a free play every day, where you aim for fake badges. Every ten of those you earn a free try, but sometimes they also give up to three bonus rounds. If you use this often enough, you can get many badges without ever paying. I very rarely spent money on this thing, though it's easy to lose yourself in the idea of completing sets, so be careful with it. Just gun for the badges that you want for your menu.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

very nice menu, i must say. i am curious as to how you got that majoras mask trailer downloaded onto your system. i cannot find it on the eShop at all

TourianTourist said...

Hey, it probably isn't available anymore. Similar to the "The Legend of Zelda" trailer (when A Link Between Worlds didn't have an actual title yet) above.