Friday, December 8, 2017

Breath of the Wild @ Game Awards 2017


What a show! I've had a feeling that they would show a trailer or a teaser for the Champions' Ballad DLC at the Game Awards, but I didn't anticipate that they would release it at the same day. Certainly one impressive way to make the show floor. It got me hyped instantly and the game certainly deserved the awards it got (source):

  • Game of the Year
  • Best Game Direction
  • Best Action / Adventure Game

It was also nominated in the following categories:

  • Best Art Direction
  • Best Score / Music
  • Best Audio Design

It's understandable that it lost in the latter two, but maybe it gives Nintendo an incentive to try a more powerful score with their next Zelda game.

Anyway, the trailer for the DLC looked really nice, like there was a lot of new content. Some of my early predictions came true: there are new Sheikah Shrines and an Ancient Saddle and Bridle. Looking forward to all this! The Master Cycle Zero was also a big surprise. I bet no one saw this coming, but it's a nice possibility thanks to the technology theme.

I'm not fully aware of all the new content that the DLC and the Update 1.4.0 brings as of yet, because I want to go in blind. But I'll create posts later today and in the upcoming days all about it.

Also, I'm not happy about the fact that they are releasing things like this out of the blue. Yes, it has been a nice surprise for the show, but I had weekend plans, while I also really want to play this new content, so now I'm conflicted. This wouldn't have happened, if they at least announced a release date some time in advance, instead of leaving us guessing.

On a side note, Metroid: Samus Returns won Best Handheld Game. Well deserved!

No comments: